The National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process is a key strategic framework for the achievement of developing countries' adaptation goals.
To achieve these goals, a coordinated approach to adaptation across sectors and government levels is essential. Recognizing this, the United States government is providing in-country support to help developing countries implement adaptation actions to address priorities identified through their NAP processes.
The U.S. In-Country NAP Support Program is implemented by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), which hosts the NAP Global Network Secretariat, under the guidance of U.S. government representatives in Washington, D.C.
Below, you can read about the countries where work is underway to support NAP processes.
The Program of Support for Colombia seeks to increase national-level awareness and multisectoral engagement with the NAP process; contribute to operational adaptation plans; strengthen capacities in priority sectors; and increase awareness and understanding of adaptation in post-conflict settings.
In close collaboration with both the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and the National Planning Department, priority investments were identified for advancing the NAP process. These include the following activities:
- Holding a national NAP Assembly to strengthen the implementation of the NAP’s Action Plan, and the design and operationalization of adaptation plans across sectors.
- Supporting the development of adaptation plans for selected priority sectors (e.g., health, housing and tourism), including monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of adaptation, in order to strengthen the implementation of the NAP process, the National Development Plan and the climate change policy on adaptation.
- Contributing to the NAP implementation in post-conflict areas through the development of guidelines for the implementation of the NAP Action Plan, and the strengthening of local capacities to implement adaptation strategies in selected post-conflict territories.
The Program of Support for Peru seeks to achieve a robust and sustainable NAP M&E system that generates accountability and learning to strengthen the NAP process; to increase the capacity of government stakeholders to monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of adaptation; and increase national-level awareness and engagement with adaptation linked to a NAP Assembly and a communications strategy.
Priority activities for support were determined through in-depth consultations with the NAP Global Network focal point in Peru’s Ministry of the Environment, USAID and a broad range of adaptation stakeholders that participated in the NAP Assembly held in Lima, December 6–7, 2016. These include:
- Supporting the design and operationalization of Peru’s NAP M&E strategy in order to ensure a robust reporting and learning system on adaptation progress and impact.
- Building capacity on M&E for adaptation across priority sectors and levels (national and regional), strengthening the ability of key stakeholders to support the NAP’s implementation.
- Foster national awareness and momentum for the implementation of Peru’s NAP process.
The Program of Support for Saint Lucia seeks to raise awareness for the NAP process across Saint Lucia; to build political support for the NAP process; to increase climate resilience in a key vulnerable sector; to increase domestic capacities for developing sectoral strategies; and to increase coordination among donors supporting adaptation in Saint Lucia.
In partnership with the Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and Sustainable Development, the Program of Support was developed with a view to achieving the following objectives:
- Support the development of an adaptation strategy and investment plan for a sector that is deemed a priority due to its vulnerability to climate change impacts, its inherent economic benefits and its contribution to livelihoods.
- Formulate a communication plan to inform on the processes and benefits of the NAP to a broad range of constituents, including government, the media, civil society, the international community and the Saint Lucian public.
- Build political and financial support for the NAP process and NAP implementation in Saint Lucia through a NAP Assembly to facilitate donor coordination and alignment with broader development and resilience goals.
Visit the Government of Saint Lucia's climate change website.
The Program of Support for Ethiopia seeks to raise awareness of Ethiopia’s NAP among key stakeholders; help prioritize adaptation options identified in the NAP at the regional level; develop implementation strategies for adaptation; and build capacity for implementation of adaptation.
In partnership with the Climate Change Planning and Mainstreaming Directorate of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MEFCC), the program comprises five main activities:
- Regional adaptation workshops to bring together key representatives from regional government bureaus, as well as private sector and civil society stakeholders, in dialogue on adaptation priorities and the way forward for implementation.
- A national synthesis workshop to provide an opportunity for dialogue among the different regions and reflection on the results of the regional prioritization processes.
- Documentation of implementation strategies—this may involve support for strategic planning, elaboration of documents to guide implementation of particular adaptation options and/or development of funding proposals to secure financial resources for projects or programs to implement adaptation actions.
- Technical support and mentoring to support effective implementation of adaptation, including an advisor embedded within MEFCC as well as short-term technical inputs.
- A NAP assembly to bring together key government actors and development partners to discuss the NAP, exchange knowledge on adaptation and discuss the way forward for the NAP process, with a focus on moving into implementation.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
The NAP Global Network is working with the Government of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) to advance their NAP and help ensure that the island nation is well-equipped to meet the current and future challenges of climate change. The SVG Program of Support aims to achieve the following:
- Develop a sector-specific adaptation strategy and corresponding investment plan for a sector that has been deemed a priority due to its vulnerability to climate change impacts;
- Increase domestic capacities for developing sectoral adaptation strategies;
- Develop a financing strategy for the NAP, exploring the domestic and international sources of funding – both private and public – that could pay for the activities outlined in the NAP;
- Increase domestic capacities for understanding the development, implementation and monitoring of financing strategies for climate change adaptation;
- Increase domestic understanding of the mechanisms available for integrating the NAP in the national budget, and facilitate the design and use of such mechanisms; and
- Build political and financial support in SVG for the NAP process and its implementation by highlighting how coordination and alignment can help to achieve broader development and resilience goals.
The Program of Support was designed in collaboration with the Sustainable Development Unit of the Ministry of Economic Planning, Sustainable Development, Industry, Information and Labour. It was also developed in consultation with other donors working on SVG’s NAP, namely the UNDP Japan-Caribbean Climate Change Partnership (JCCCP). This helped to ensure that all programming complemented and supported the work of both the government and other donors working in-country.
The Program of Support for Guyana was developed in collaboration with the Office of Climate Change (OCC) within the Ministry of the Presidency. It aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To strengthen communications around the processes and benefits of the National Adaptation Plan to a broad range of constituents, including government, the media, civil society, the international community and the Guyanese public;
- To ensure the effective, impactful delivery and continuous improvement of the NAP process through the development of a monitoring and evaluation framework for Guyana’s NAP;
- To increase the capacities of staff from key ministries working at the local and regional level --namely the Ministries of Communities, Finance and Public Infrastructure--to plan and finance adaptation activities under the NAP.
The Program of Support was developed in consultation with other donors working on Guyana’s NAP, namely the UNDP Japan-Caribbean Climate Change Partnership (JCCCP). This helped to ensure that all programming complemented and supported the work of both the government and other donors working in-country.
Visit the Government of Guyana's Office of Climate Change website.