The NAP Global Network has been working with the Government of Fiji on their country’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) since the beginning of its development in September 2017.
After working on an inter-ministerial approach to the NAP process that would ensure institutional legitimacy, we started focusing on the implementation of Fiji’s NAP in 2019. This program is now helping the country develop a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and communication strategy while working with sectors to advance the implementation of relevant priority actions identified in the NAP document.
- Costing methodology (ongoing): Helping the Climate Change and International Cooperation Division (CCICD) and Sectoral Ministries with the costing of adaptation actions identified in the NAP document to support the financing and implementation of the plan.
- Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Framework: Based on a review of existing M&E practices in Fiji and a large data mapping exercise, the Ministry of Finance has identified 8 concrete next steps to advance a system to monitor and evaluate the NAP process.
- Awareness workshops: With a new understanding of the NAP process, communications officers from government ministries and agencies in Fiji and key stakeholders at the subnational level can support its implementation.
- Communications strategy and video on Fiji’s NAP process : The Ministry of Finance is better equipped to engage key stakeholders who are instrumental in driving the implementation of the NAP process.
- Roadmap for Fiji’s hydrometeorological services: The Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport, Disaster Management & Meteorological Services advance the implementation of Action 7.01 on climate information service and management prioritized in the NAP document.
- NAP document: The Cabinet of the Fijian government endorsed a 5-year national strategic action plan on adaptation to support a coordinated approach to climate-resilient development. It launched at COP 24.
- National Consultation Workshop: Over 130 stakeholders from diverse sectors and levels of government review and discuss the content of the NAP document.
- Prioritization Process: Relevant ministries organized in 14 technical working groups prioritize 160 adaptation actions using multi-criteria analysis.
- Stocktake process: The Climate Change and International Cooperation Division of the Ministry of Finance consolidate nearly 900 adaptation actions already identified in key strategic documents in a single repository to ensure that the NAP process builds on what already exists.
- Inter-Ministerial Steering Committee: The Ministry of Finance establishes a committee comprising relevant sector technical leads to guide the development and implementation of the NAP process and enhance coordination among relevant stakeholders.
- NAP framework: The Cabinet of the Fijian government endorsed an overall approach to the development of its NAP process, developed under the coordination of the Ministry of Finance through a participatory process. It launched at COP 23.
- Fiji Hosts International Forum on Adapting to Climate Change
- Launch of Fiji’s First National Adaptation Plan
- Press Release | Fiji launches first-ever National Adaptation Plan during UN Climate Conference
- Fiji’s Hydrometeorological Observation Equipment Maintenance and Service Production
- Video | Fiji's National Adaptation Plan Process
- Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for Fiji’s National Adaptation Plan Process